[sauron-users] Import Issues

Eric Sorenson eric at transmeta.com
Tue Sep 12 20:52:19 EEST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Dan Bellis wrote:

> Force subzone creation so the static address are the entiire subnet, and then
> include the dynamic subzone within the static zone file.  The DHCP server
> would write to the subzone, and Sauron would write to the static zone file.
> Not sure of the ramifications or practicality of this, but I think it would
> work.  Need to do some testing.

This is probably your best bet. From a philisophical standpoint. DDNS
and central allocation via Sauron are kind of antithetical -- in the
Sauron case, you want to centrally allocate MAC->IP->DNS name mappings;
with DDNS you accept that the end-nodes know best what their DNS name
ought to be and the servers should just codify and distribute that
information for other hosts. That said, each approach has its place and
I can understand why you'd want to blend them.

> The only other option I could think of would be to have the Sauron server be a
> stealth DNS server that gets all the updates, and write something that parses
> the zone files at some frequency, and makes changes to the database based on
> diffs of the current view and the previous.  Seems like a lot of work, but
> this is the only way I can think to get the dynamic data back into sauron.
> Then I wouldn't need subzones, and my ranges could stay the same.

That seems like a lot more pain than it'd be worth. Reshuffling your
ranges would be just a one-time event that would fix the immediate
problem and clean up some legacy stuff at the same time--a Good Thing!

> My best hope is that I'm being silly and there is some simple way to do this
> that you fine folks would be kind enough to let me know.

Doesn't seem silly to me, I think you've just hit upon a schism in
implementation between two different uses for DNS.

--
  Eric Sorenson -  Director of MIS + Site Services  - Transmeta Corporation