[sauron-users] Import Issues

Dan Bellis dan.bellis at gd-ais.com
Tue Sep 12 18:15:34 EEST 2006

Eric,

Thanks for the response.  We hacked our way around the import issues, and that
part seems to be mostly good.

My next issue is related to Dynamic DNS.  Here's the situation...

We have ~50 linux machines at remote locations that will be acting as DHCP/DNS
servers for the sites.  Each site is a zone.  The DHCP server uses DDNS to
update the zone files at each site.  Each of the remote sites will then
tranfer their zone to three upstream slave servers, which is what will handle
the majority of the queries.

Here's my problem.  Sauron doesn't know about the DDNS updates that are
happening to the zone files at these sites.  If a static entry is made, and
the the new zone file is pushed, the journal file that is created by DDNS is
out of date, and of course the zone file that I pushed has none of the DDNS
information in it.

I am converting from mostly two legacy systems.   One is QIP, and the other is
M$.  The ranges are already specified, so I can't neatly divide them on a
subnet of the site to make subzones of the DHCP addresses  My initial thought
was to have a subzone for the DHCP addresses, but that is not easily
realized.

Unless I'm missing something, I think my options are:

Force subzone creation so the static address are the entiire subnet, and then
include the dynamic subzone within the static zone file.  The DHCP server
would write to the subzone, and Sauron would write to the static zone file.
Not sure of the ramifications or practicality of this, but I think it would
work.  Need to do some testing.

The only other option I could think of would be to have the Sauron server be a
stealth DNS server that gets all the updates, and write something that parses
the zone files at some frequency, and makes changes to the database based on
diffs of the current view and the previous.  Seems like a lot of work, but
this is the only way I can think to get the dynamic data back into sauron.
Then I wouldn't need subzones, and my ranges could stay the same.

My best hope is that I'm being silly and there is some simple way to do this
that you fine folks would be kind enough to let me know.

For the record, this is Sauron 0.7.2, bind 9.3.1, ISC DHCPD 1.3.22pl4 running
on slackware 10.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

					--dan