[Linkki] Työpaja "Intimate Surveillance" 3.-5.5.

Johanna Savela samijo at cc.jyu.fi
Ti toukokuu 2 09:39:41 EEST 2006

>>> Raine Koskimaa 27.4.2006 16:22 >>>
Hei,

digitaalisen kulttuurin maisteriohjelma järjestää ensi viikolla (3.-5.5.)
työpajan otsikolla "Intimate Surveillance", vetäjinä slovenialaiset
mediataitelijat Igor Stromajer ja Vlado Repnik (tarkempi kuvaus alla).
Työpajaan mahtuu vielä hyvin mukaan, joten toivon että voitte välittää
tietoa omille opiskelijoillenne. Työpajaan ilmoittaudutaan Korpin kautta
(koodilla DGLS491) ja sieltä löytyy myös tarkemmat aikataulu- ja
salitiedot.

Lisäksi Igor Stromajer pitää omaa uusmediataidettaan käsittelevän
yleisöluennon:
Love without Mercy - Dangerous Connections ja Radical Emotions
3.5.06, 11.15-12.00, JT120

Tervetuloa,
Raine Koskimaa
************

Intima Virtual Base
Igor Stromajer
www.intima.org

babaLAN
Vlado Gotvan Repnik
www.babalan.org

INTIMATE SURVEILLANCE
workshop

The University of Jyväskylä, Faculty of Humanities, The Master's Programme
in Digital Culture, Jyväskylä, Finland, May 2006

The workshop would explore the intimate emotional possibilities of the
surveillance over the internet.

Students would get the opportunity to research the internet as the
artistic tool for the remote communication in order to control and monitor
distant and remote subjects/objects.

The work could be done outside in the open space or/and inside in the
computer lab, so the work will be intensive and dynamic, offering a lot of
opportunities to learn about mobile internet, flexible connections,
unusual and not regular use of the medium.

Surveillance over the net is an actual subject, offering a lot of artistic
possibilities, and is combined with action and adrenalin. It questions
governmental and military structures, as well as personal, intimate and
private systems, plus it also enters the philosophical field of fluid and
constantly changing identities - a new subjectivity. In our world of
relationality and reflections, this subjectivity
calls for a standpoint, place, position, and location.

The Intimate Surveillance Story:

I am fully equipped for the highly emotional experience. I disappear
deeper and deeper into the landscape, with the frustrations opening in the
subtle and repetitive rhythm of empty images and voices. Everything is
short, clean, just the basics. I travel through the emotional labyrinths
that emerge from the intestines of closed networks. I share the rhythm of
these parallel, flickering landscapes revealed in front of me, intriguing
me, seducing me with their spaceless speech and imagery. No emotion, just
a glimpse of it, no feeling, just the pain of it, no
happiness, just the sound of it, no talk, just the word of it, no passion,
just the climax of it. The intimate landscapes play with my illusions of
possession and boundlessness, surprising me with their inner history and
touching me with their surprising analogies. A structure of liquid
emotion, a fusion of the visible and the invisible. The bonds between the
incongruities and spanned incommensurables may seem
playful, but they are not innocent. Playfulness is just a mask for a very
serious
adventure taking place at the intimate landscapes. There is a clear threat of
emotional attachment. Who provokes me and who gets provoked? Who fills me
with lust
and who is lustful? Who is dynamic and who is frozen? Danger resides in
the intimate
dismals, personal dismemberment.

The area which would interest us most, is the intimate, personal
surveillance. We
would use it as a poetic tool for the digital artistic expression. It
would be net
based, but we would use video and audio technology as well. In general it
means:
making very private things (private emotional spaces) very public (public
spaces).
By broadcasting private targets (under surveillance) into public space, we
would
learn how to cross the borders, but to stay on the line.

The key words for the workshop are: surveillance, intimacy, obsession,
fantasy,
identity, fluid, misunderstanding, guerrilla, mistake, disappearing,
appearing,
time, frustration, repeating, loop, danger, web cam, radical, waiting,
poetic,
gentle, private, public

During the workshop we would hopefully manage to be very radical and
emotional, to
learn about radical net art praxis, not fascinated with the technologies, but
secluded and ascetic in its artistic expression, and about the hybridity of
contemporary art and its visibility in impossible and dangerous
connections and
guerrilla circumstances.

The workshop will explore the emotional strategies of mobile wireless and
remote-controlled surveillance, mixing the reality with the utopian and
dystopian
facts. It will be based on a very simple but highly efficient
remote-controlled toy
robots (very capable off-road cars) and several wireless surveillance
cameras. All
the toys will be used in urban guerrilla situations, broadcasting the radical
every-day details of the urban life via fixed or mobile internet connection,
directly into the computer center, and from there on the internet server
and on the
world wide web, using the specially designed interface for processing the
video
broadcast. Using the modern urban combat strategies, these toy-robots
would perceive
the public space and its inhabitants from a different perspective,
bringing the new
way of understanding the complex layers of the urban environment. In that
case
playfulness is just a mask for a very serious adventure taking place at
the intimate
landscapes. There is a clear threat of emotional attachment. Who provokes
me and who
gets provoked? Who fills me with lust and who is lustful? Who is mobile
and who is
frozen? Danger resides in the intimate dismals, personal dismemberment.

Special focus:

Use of fixed and mobile surveillance cameras
Use of mobile robots, remote-controlled toy cars and flying toys
Use of low-technology commercial available and home-made equipment

Tiedon välitti
Johanna Savela
Tiedottaja
Jyväskylän yliopisto