[f(k)] Colloquium Sorin Paraoanu TODAY 10:15 FYS1

Ilari Maasilta ilari.j.maasilta at jyu.fi
Fri Sep 30 09:06:59 EEST 2011

Dear all,

welcome to this week's colloquium.
  (even those of you stressing about the Academy deadline, if you
haven't submitted yet: take a break, and relax your nerves at the
colloquium!)

TODAY  30 Sept, at 10:15 in FYS1 Speaker:**Sorin Paraoanu, Aalto
University***
Title:    **********Superconducting circuits as a tool for exploring the
foundations of quantum physics*****

Abstract:

During the last decade, remarkable developments in the technology of
Josephson junctions have enabled us to
fabricate superconducting circuit elements that behave like artificial
atoms. The properties of these atoms (called superconducting qubits)
can be - to a certain degree of extend  - designed at will. The qubits
can also be coupled to each other, which opens the possibility of
simulating many-body systems and performing quantum gates.

In this talk I will depart however from presenting the mainstream ideas
of quantum computing.
Instead, I will argue that the qubit technology allows us to perform
experiments that are relevant for other fundamental aspects of quantum
theory. I will start by presenting  some experimental and theoretical
results related to the so-called Autler-Townes effect, showing  that a
superconducting phase qubit can be operated as a three-level system.
Then I will show that - contrary to what we might learn from some
textbooks - quantum measurements can be reversed, and the qubit
measurement technique provides for a rather clear demonstration of this
measurement "undoing". This opens up the intriguing question of wheather
it is possible to extract information from a single quantum system by a
sequence of  measurements and reversals. The answer turns out to be "no"
- had it been a "yes", the 100-year old "peaceful coexistence" between
quantum physics and relativity would be over. In the end, I will discuss
the prospects for using these systems for testing cosmological effects
such as Hawking radiation.

Best regards,

Kari Eskola and Ilari Maasilta