[f(k)] colloquium Pekka Koskinen TODAY 10:15 FYS 1

Ilari Maasilta ilari.j.maasilta at jyu.fi
Fri Sep 16 08:23:24 EEST 2011

Dear all,

welcome to this semester's first physics colloquium,

TODAY  16 Sept, at 10:15 in FYS1 Speaker:**Pekka Koskinen, JYFL***
Title:    **********The Flimsiest Materials in the World*****

Abstract:

Materials made from the atom-thick honeycomb carbon -- graphene flakes,
carbon nanotubes and graphene nanoribbons -- are the flimsiest materials
in the world. Being sensitive to tiny perturbations, they readily get
bent, twisted, rippled, curled, wrapped or otherwise distorted in
complex ways -- sometimes even spontaneously. In this presentation I
discuss problems related to distortion simulations and introduce an
approach to resolve them, the revised periodic boundary conditions. I
illustrate related distortion simulations by bent carbon nanotubes,
spherically distorted graphene, and twisted graphene nanoribbons -- the
last one possibly opening an unprecedented route for carbon nanotube
synthesis.

Best regards,

Kari Eskola and Ilari Maasilta