[f(k)] Colloquium Gemma Solomon FYS1 today 10:00

Ilari Maasilta ilari.j.maasilta at jyu.fi
Fri Oct 14 08:17:53 EEST 2011

Dear all,

welcome to this week's colloquium:

TODAY  14 Oct, at 10:15 (coffee at 10:00) in FYS1 Speaker:**Gemma
Solomon, University of Copenhagen***
Title:    ***********Describing local currents in molecular electron
transport.****

Abstract:

Local descriptions are a cornerstone of theoretical chemistry, providing
a window to structure/function relationships for the physical properties
of molecules. As new types of physical measurements are applied to
single molecules, it becomes necessary to develop new local
descriptions. In this talk I will present our work using a description
of local currents to map which components of a molecule participate in
coherent electron transport through molecules bound between metallic
electrodes. I will illustrate the characteristic features in the local
transmission for a range of commonly studied molecules, the features
associated with destructive quantum interference and the way in which
local currents can be used to characterize the transport in complex
molecular structures.

Regards,

Kari and Ilari